I presume I am not the only one who has struggled to put movies on my iPad. I’ve now discovered that it’s actually a very simple and quick procedure, so I thought I’d share it with you.
The first time I needed to put a movie on my iPad was before a holiday – I knew I was going to be sat on a plane for at least two hours, so I wanted something to pass the time.
The iPad is perfect for travelling – it has become incredibly popular among travelers who use it for watching movies, reading, playing games, doing travel research on Safari, listening to music and many other things.
But if you want to watch movies on it, you’ve got two options: you either stream them directly through the internet, or you can store them on the iPad so that you can watch them when there is no internet access. If you choose the second option, but you haven’t bought your movies from iTunes or have them on DVD, then you may need to use a application that allows you to convert the movies into a file format that is supported by your iPad.
The iPad supports H.264, MPEG-4 videos in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats – so if your movie is in any of these formats, then you can add them straight to your iTunes and then sync them to your iPad. If you have videos in FLV, WMV, AVI, MKV, ASF or AVCHD formats, then read on as these are not supported by the iPad and so will need to be converted. To convert your movies into an iPad-friendly format you just need to follow these simple steps:
Option 1: Use Handbrake
Handbrake is a free app which is available for Mac, Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Linux. It helps people convert movies and transfer them on Apple products (iPad, iPhone and iPod). Let me guide you step by step from the moment you decide to put a movie on your iPad till the moment you can watch it on your tablet.
1. Google “Handbrake”, download and install it on your computer.
2. Once installed, open it and press the Source button in order to pick up the movie you want to convert and transfer on your iPad.
3. After you’ve selected the movie you can adjust its settings – the output resolution, video and audio codecs, frame rates, chapter markers, cleanup filters and many others. So if you are into technology, this will be very useful. Otherwise, just use the default settings.
4. On the right hand side you have to select your device from the Toggle Presets button.
5. You can now convert the movie by pressing the Start button from the menu. The converted movie will be placed on your desktop. Wait until conversion is complete.
6. Once the conversion is done, open the iTunes window and connect your iPad to the computer (you will need to use a USB cable).
7. On the iTunes window go to File > Add to library.
8. Select the movie(s) that you want to put on your iPad.
9. After the converted movie has been added in the iTunes library, you need to sync iTunes with your iPad. Check and see if the Sync Movies box from the Movies tab is already ticked, and if not, just tick it.
10. Click Apply (on the right hand side of the page, in the lower corner) to transfer movies from iTunes to your iPad. Wait until the transfer is complete.
11. Enjoy the movie on your iPad!
Option 2: Use Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate
1. Do a Google search for “Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate”, download and install it on your computer. The application trial is free and gives you everything you need to convert your movie files to the MP4 format. But if you want to you use it more intensely, than you have buy it and get $60 out of your wallet.
2. Once installed, open it and select the Source of your movie by using the buttons Add Files or Add Video and add the movie you want to convert and transfer on your iPad.
3. On the right hand side you have to select your device as output format.
4. You can now convert the movie by pressing the Start button on the righthand side of this interface. Wait until conversion is complete.
5. Once the conversion is complete, it will automatically open the iTunes library and transfer it there. If this doesn’t happen, then you need to manually move the movie file to iTunes library by doing this:
- Open the iTunes library folder in another window.
- Drag the files from the Aimersoft window and drop them in iTunes.
- Wait until the transfer is complete.
6. You now just need to connect your iPad to computer and sync iTunes with iPad (you will need to use a USB cable).
7. In iTunes, tick the Sync Movies box under the Movies tab if it is not already ticked.
8. Select the movies that you want to put on your iPad by clicking on them.
9. Click Apply (on the right hand side of the page, in lower corner) to transfer movies from iTunes to your iPad.
10. Enjoy the movie on your iPad!
There are quite a lot of application like these two, but for me these are the simplest and most reliable to use! I hope these simple instructions help you put movies on your iPad, but if you have any problems or questions, please let me know in the comments and I’ll answer them. Enjoy your movies on your iPad from now on :)